Ingredients (6 servings):
- 240 ml (130 g) almond flour (I use ground almonds) 60 ml (35 g) sesame seeds 1 tbsp (8 g) ground psyllium husk powder 1 tsp (5 g) baking powderpinch of salt3 tbsp olive oil1 egg60 ml water
- 225 g (250 ml) cottage cheese200 g (425 ml) shredded cheese
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped1 garlic clove, finely chopped2 tbsp butter 600 g ground beef1 tbsp dried oregaonsalt and pepper 4 tbsp tomato paste 125 ml water
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Fry onion and garlic in butter or olive oil over medium heat for a few minutes, until onion is soft. Add ground beef and keep frying. Add oregano or basil. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add tomato paste or ajvar relish. Add water. Lower the heat and let simmer for at least 20 minutes. I usually simmer it for 25-30 minutes, until the liquid evaporates. While the meat simmers, make the dough for the crust.
- Mix all the crust ingredients in a food processor for a few minutes until the dough turns into a ball. If you don’t have a food processor, you can mix by hand with a fork, or use a hand mixer with dough beaters.
- Place a round piece of parchment paper in a well-greased springform pan or deep-dish pie pan — 9-10 inches (23-25 cm) in diameter — to make it easier to remove the pie when it’s done. You can also use a casserole dish here. Spread the dough in the pan and up along the sides. Use a spatula or well-greased fingers. Once the crust is shaped to the pan, prick the bottom of the crust with a fork. It probably won’t come very high up the edges, but the important thing is to cover the bottom fully.
- Pre-bake the crust for 10-15 minutes. Remove from the oven and place the meat in the crust. Mix cottage cheese and shredded cheese together, and layer on top of the pie.
- Bake on lower rack for 30-40 minutes or until the pie has turned a golden color.
- Serve with fresh salad and enjoy!
The original recipe can be found here, along with some veggie variations.