*Recipe adapted from Kirbie’s Cravings
- 3 cups (250 g) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 oz (around 57 g) cream cheese
- 3 large eggs (one egg is reserved for egg wash)
- 2 cups (165 g) superfine almond flour (you can put ground almonds in a food processor to make them fine)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- coarse salt
- sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- In a small bowl, whisk together almond flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- Add the cream cheese and mozzarella to a large microwave-safe bowl. Cover the cream cheese with mozzarella so that it is not exposed in the microwave. Melt cheeses in the microwave at full power in 30 second intervals. Stir after each 30 seconds and continue cooking until cheeses are completely melted and form a uniform cheese dough. This should take around 2-2 ½ minutes total. Do not try to microwave the full time at once because some of the cheese will overcook. You can also melt the cheese over the stove in a double boiler.
- Add cheese, 2 eggs, and almond flour mixture into a food processor with dough blade attachment. Pulse on high speed until the dough is uniform. The dough will be quite sticky, which is normal. If you don’t have a food processor with a dough blade, you can mix the dough by hand, or use dough beaters on your hand mixer.
- Wrap your pastry board with plastic wrap until the plastic wrap is taut. You should have the plastic wrap running across the bottom of the board so that the weight of the board will help keep the plastic wrap in place. The plastic wrap should keep your dough from sticking to the board. Lightly coat your hands with oil and divide dough into 8 equal parts. Roll each dough into ropes about 1 inch (2.5 cm) thick.
- Using a sharp knife, slice the dough into 3/4-inch-wide (2 cm) pieces. You should have enough dough for approximately 74 bites. I usually slice them into smaller bites and get around 145 pieces. Place onto prepared baking sheet.
- Add the final egg to a bowl and whisk. Brush surface of pretzel bites with egg wash. Sprinkle tops of pretzels with coarse salt and sesame seeds.
- Bake pretzels for about 12-15 minutes in the middle rack of your oven, or until pretzels are a light golden brown. You can turn on the top fan ot the broiler on a low setting for 2 minutes at the end to give them a nice golden finish. Be careful they don’t burn.
- Take out of the oven, allow to cool a bit, transfer to a plate or bowl, and enjoy!
Nutritional information (for 144 pieces):
Fat: 1.3 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 10.2 mg
Protein: 0.8 g